Powerful Poetic Inquiry and data collection tools Memo Blog #6

Memo Blog # 6
Powerful Poetic Inquiry
Stephanie Jones
Chapter 5


This chapter describes how a Middle School Language Arts Teacher utilize her developing process of poetic inquiry in her work. The process of writing and revising poetry helped the teacher as she was able to change the way in which she thought about her student(s) and her teaching. 

It is well known that teaching poetry is great teaching and learning technique because it enables teachers to teach their students how to write, read, and understand any text. Poetry can give students a healthy outlet for surging emotions. Reading original poetry aloud in class can foster trust and empathy in the classroom community, while also emphasizing speaking and listening skills that are often neglected in school literature classes. Poetry promotes literacy, builds community, and fosters emotional resilience. It can cross boundaries that little else can. Sadly poems are not utilized as often as they should. 

Ms. Hall had a student named Ray who was placed in her Language Arts class. Ray was disconnected from her class and did not worry about the consequences that would arise from his actions. Ms. Hall was worried because Ray constantly “acted out in class” (Jones page 72). Ms. Hall had no idea why Ray behaved the way he did and tried to figure out what was happening in his life, but was not able to figure out why he was disconnected from her class. 

The story on this chapter reminds me of the story in chapter 3 (allowing our wounds to breathe). Brooke, the student was disconnected from her class, did not feel connected to her learning environment, as she was going thru difficult times and did not feel her story was heard. Until the teacher and the student had a sharing moment. Prior to learning how to connect with her teacher Brooke was reluctant to participate in class, the student was disconnected and distant from the group because she did not feel welcomed, accepted and valued.

Brooke felt lost. Just like Brooke, Ray felt the same way in school. He felt lost, distant, disconnected from his learning. He lacked interest in learning because his life at home was difficult. Ms. Hall was busy making sure the curriculum and educational goals were met accordingly and in a timely manner, she did not see that her student was crying for help.  

Ray needed to show his injury/wounds and allow them to breathe. His emotions are impeding his academic progress and sadly the teacher did not pick up on that. Ms. Hall soon found that in order to adapt and find her identity, she needed to open herself to students by sharing her life experiences with them and just by opening her eyes and ears to the stories students had to share. 

Regarding student’s identity Ms. Hall stated in her notebook that “ Every identity breaks down to some self that has to learn to live between the loneliness and connections: (Jones page 72). Ms. Hall become more aware of her student’s life struggles. She became receptive and Ray responded positively when he began to use his journal to vent some of the hostility he felt at the time. Both teacher and students were able to connect thru writing. Writing poetry guided both teacher and students they were trying to establish a relationship of trust. Writing and poetry allowed the teacher to learn more about herself and in the process learn to see others differently. 

The power of writing poetic inquiry deeply influences classroom teachers because writing helps students to freely express their feelings and become actively engaged in their learning. Writing poems welcomes and promotes healthy teacher and student(s) connections. When teacher and students establish a relationship of trust teachers are able to reach more students, especially those who are disconnected from the group and disconnected from learning. 

This chapter taught me that ”there is poetry to be found in all human endeavors to understand the world” (Jones page 82). In order to understand the world we must know how to hear the poetry, how to feel it. We are able to do that thru learning as we work on cultivating our critical pedagogy. 

Unfortunately, the current Foreign Language Curriculum does not include teaching Literature until students take are in High School and until they are ready to take an Advance Spanish Course (AP Spanish). I have a colleague who teaches Spanish Literature(poetry) at the high school level. She tells me that her students are able to express themselves freely thru poetry. They have the opportunity to tell their stories to her in an anonymous way in some cases. My colleague believes that teaching writing using poetry certainly allows teachers to become a better “teacher and a better person as well” (Jones page 81).

Students learn to become a better student and person as well as they are given the opportunity to have their voice heard. At school in my teaching preference sheet, I’ve have been asking for an opening to teach Spanish to Heritage Learners only. Currently my Spanish I classes 90-95% are Latino Students.

They speak Spanish at home and because of this I have no doubt that those students who are not happy because they were placed in a low level class, will benefit much more from taking a class were they can be challenged. Poetry will allow them to become critical thinkers as they are given the opportunity to think and express themselves clearly and rationally about what they believe in. Writing and poetry will allow them to effectively communicate their thoughts, ideas, concerns freely and free of judgement.




Data Collection Tools
By Beverly Falk and Megan Blumenreich
Chapter 6


Utilizing the correct data collection tool(s) to obtain pertinent evidence to answer classroom research question(s) is vital to conduct a good classroom research. As I began to get ready to start my classroom research project, I can not avoid to think about, what sources can be trusted as being valid and reliable sources to collect pertinent data for my classroom research project. 

To collect data for my project I will utilize my field notes and definitely will be utilizing student and teachers interviews (when applicable) as interviews will help me find and collect information that will focus on answering the project’s main and sub questions adequately. I also understand that my field notes will be vital to me in this process as it will help me reccord questions, concerns, I may have regarding this process. 

Chapter 6 provides important information to teachers on selecting valid sources which will guide us as we try to answer each research question accurately. As the chapter states, we must focus on selecting a source that will not “only fit your research questions, but also the constraints of the school day and your school life” (Falk and Blumenreich page 91). Finding creative sources to collect data will definitely guide the classroom researcher in his her quest for collecting pertinent data for the project. 

Both authors suggest to take a look at some guidelines which they believe will help us in the process of constructing informative interview questions. I will keep these guideline(s) as I begin to work on the questions I’ll be developing for my interviews. Chapter 6 guidelines to construct informative interview questions is a great source because it shows us what to consider using and what snot should be consider using as we collect data from our questions.These guidelines questions will help us have a clear understanding of what type of data will be valid and reliable for us to use for our study. 

After reading this chapter, I now have to re-think about my main and sub questions. Are they focused on the study of teaching and learning? Are they too general or too specific so that data collected would not be enough to answer each question? Are these questions going to help me grow as a professional as I think and analyze my teaching? Are this questions going to address my concerns as I will be seeking for ways improving my teaching. I am still a bit nervous about my research questions. I know I still have a lot of work to do and hope I am able to collect enough valid and reliable data and I hope I will be able to decide on what data will be valid and reliable for me to include in my final report. 

Comments

  1. Alex,

    I was moved by your second paragraph about the many benefits of poetry in the classroom. I have always struggled with poetry and remember with dread being asked to compose poetry in high school. Even interpreting was difficult. "Mrs. H. What if it not about life? What if it is only about a tree? A literal tree?" Was I too young to understand symbol and metaphor? I don't think so. Perhaps I was not introduced to poetry that spoke to me personally. I think perhaps for poetry to be an "outlet for surging emotions" as you wrote, we need to show students poetry that expresses the kind of experiences and emotions our students are living with. With the right models of poets and poetry, students can also compose poetry about their experiences and identities.

    You mentioned that poetry in pedagogy emphasizes speaking & listening skills. How true and how overlooked that might be. Public speaking is required in so many aspects of academic, professional, and civic life that there should be more emphasis on it. Reciting and listening to poetry could help. I often wish that modern families would read aloud together, like in "Little Women" or a Jane Austen novel. We would all be better public speakers and listeners, I think. Although in ESL settings, speaking and listening are often emphasised, in non-ESL and higher education settings, it seems that reading and writing is more emphasized. In all settings, I think we need to balance all four language modalities. Poetry seems one area where we might have that balance.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post # 4

Resisting Ice and The Deportation Crisis Conference (blog post 5)