Memo post # 10 Field Notes (Part 3)



Field Notes (part 3)
100-Word Strategy Memo Post

For this week’s post I decided to use Wendy Luttrell Reflexive Writing strategy. I tried the 100 Word strategy to explain why the chosen topic is important to me as an individual, and as an educator. (I tried).


Version one: Why does this topic matters to me?

My responsibility as a Spanish Teacher is to not only introduce non-Spanish speaking students to learning a new language, but also to show them the relationship that exist between language and culture. 

This topic is important to me because I want to engage my heritage learners in meaningful learning as I see notice lost of interest in learning more about the language they already speak. Providing the appropriate support to help them succeed academically is vital. My goal moving forward is to encourage and empower all students to enhance their knowledge of the home language and culture.


Version two: Why does this matter to the participants in my study?

As a native Spanish Educator I believe that being able to communicate in more than one language is beneficial for individuals. Bilingualism and Multilingualism opens many doors to these who have the advantage of speaking more than one language. Many of my students come from families where a language other than English is spoken, but sadly the education system promotes a monolingual model. Sadly, many students are losing interest in learning more about their language and culture. 

This study is important to my participants because I want them to see the world differently. I hope to encourage them to realize the gift they possess and help them see bilingualism and multilingualism as a gain and not as a loss.


Version #3: Why does this matter to the field of education?

One out of five people in the US speaks a language other than English at home. In today’s interconnected world, “heritage languages” are a valuable asset. Children who grow up speaking a heritage language have many advantages, including more career and personal opportunities. 

To prepare our nation’s children to be the next generation of future entrepreneurs, doctors, scientists, engineers, or whatever influential job they choose, we must foster an environment from a young age that promotes multilingual learning. This study will help me identify ways to help my students realize that their home language is a valuable asset that should be passed on to the next generation. 

Comments

  1. Alex,

    I think your work is so important. I hope that you can give all of us suggestions on how to encourage families who speak languages other than English to nurture the development of their home languages and encourage fluency in their children. Engaging the students in studying and valuing fluency in their home languages could be a concerted effort of families as well as teachers who teach the children and teachers who teach their parents. I recently taught an adult ESL class where a father told me that he and his wife wanted the children to learn English first and Spanish second. So they spoke only English in the home in front of the children. Now the children are 7 and 8 and the parents want to teach the children Spanish. But the children aren't interested in learning Spanish. He asked my advice. What would you suggest?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post # 4

Resisting Ice and The Deportation Crisis Conference (blog post 5)